Thursday, September 2, 2010

W3D2

Tonight was my first evening run. Though it was nice not to have the morning sun beams blinding me, I think I actually prefer the morning runs (not the waking up, but the ready-for-the-day feeling and alertness you get from the morning jogs).

I bought an official pair of running shoes today. I went to Runners Den in Phoenix and purchased a pair of expensive "white, lightning, and electric blue" asics. According to the box they have a gel foundation (not sure what that even means...). The man who helped me was very informative. He is the closest person I have to any sort of running coach, expert, anything, so I pumped him full of questions ( and he may actually know nothing about running! Lol). He told me that my knees hurt because of one, two, or three of these factors : Muscle imbalance, genetics, and flexibility. I am assuming a little of all three. But he fit me for some shoes to help with my over pronation (sp?) problem so he told me to ice my knees, use the new shoes, and my knees should feel better in 2 - 3 weeks. We shall see...

He also told me that when you start running 10+ miles your feet can swell up to a full shoe size. If you don't buy your running shoes big, you can break the cuticle on your toenails and your entire nail with come off with your sock! That is soooooo gross! I have been intrigued by it all night. Josh doesn't find it as fascinating as I...I think I'm going to go Google a pic of some runners toe nail tragedies.

Night all.

2 comments:

  1. Did you feel better running with the new shoes? Even if they didn't help with your knee problems or speed, just havnig new shiny shoes makes you feel a little better, right?

    I have heard of lots of runners with 'black toe'. Check it out..it's pretty nasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I looked up the black toe. It wasnt as gross as the guy in the shoe store made it seem, but I dont want it! lol.

    ReplyDelete